Thursday 1 May 2014

The final April numbers + What's your return rate?

You know, it isn't as easy to calculate April numbers as I think. For starters, there were 31 days in March, compared to 30 days in April. Then, I released Diagnosis in the middle of March, so if I compare April and March, it wouldn't be apples-to-apples. 

But, stripping out Diagnosis, and accounting for the 30/31 day thing, and ignoring the sales of all 99c books (because, honestly, it ain't much - I need to sell thousands of those for any real monetary impact), I'm up 12%. 

Is that great? Meh. It's not bad. And, honestly, there's no guarantee in this business that sales will actually increase month-over-month, so I'll take the increase with gratitude. 

Now, return rates. Erotica authors bitch about return rates all the time, but I can't find any hard numbers, so I'll tell you mine. 

My overall return rate in April was 4.91%, which isn't bad at all, from what I hear. The books that see the highest returns are Triage and The Alien, the Doctor and the Virgin. I've tried to figure out why, and the best that I can think is that the moment I say Medical Play, there's some people that buy it for wanking off, and aren't finding it quite what they wanted. (The percentage of people who buy Triage and then buy the next book is quite high, so I don't think it's the quality of the work, per se - just that it isn't all things to all people.)

In the state of the writing - Relapse is almost done. Yay! One final scene, then it's off to my editors.



No comments:

Post a Comment