Wednesday 15 January 2014

Amazon returns - a mild rant

I'm going to rant a little. I'll preface my rant by saying that in the larger scheme of things, this isn't the biggest deal in the world. But it's annoying as all heck.

So, I stalk my Kindle sales fairly often. I'm a new author; I'm still trying to get my name out there, build a market, etc. To add to that, I'm running my first Kindle Countdown deal, and I'm curious about how it's going on an hourly basis.

I looked at my sales late last night and early this morning; took a quick note of the numbers.

I looked a little while back, and I had two returns. Now, I could tell, through the constant monitoring of the sales numbers, that basically, someone had bought Triage yesterday, and returned it this morning. I've seen that happen often enough; and I think it's a bit BS - there's nothing that prevents me from buying a book, reading it in a few hours (and let's be honest here, erotica isn't taxing or time-consuming reading), and then returning it. It is a jackass move to pull by the consumer, but I've seen it, and have made my peace with it.

I've made my peace with it because technically, you could have hated my book, and returned it.

The reason for this particular rant? The same person bought Triage (Part 1 of the series) and Observation (Part 2.) Liked Triage well enough to buy the follow-up. Then returned both of them. Didn't like the first book and returned it? Don't buy the sequel.

I don't think Amazon has anything in place to prevent serial returners, but I think they should. Because this is a seriously dick move to pull.

Ah, writing and self-publishing. The things you learn.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely wasn't me lol. I love both the books and I intend to keep them and reread them over and over and desperate now for book 3 lol. In fact love all your books and yep you guessed it I am keeping them. Great writing and cant wait for more.

    ReplyDelete